Found a break in the clouds and took these last night:
Tuesday, 31 December 2013
Monday, 30 December 2013
Just to see if i could improve my Crab Nebula project i have been through all the 5min subs (all 276 of them!) and discarded any that showed any signs of haze, fuzziness, excess light pollution, etc and restacked the "good" ones. This resulted in a discard of 10 hours of data - the resulting image is made up from 13hours and 30 mins of 5 min subs. It has certainly had a dramatic effect!!:
Link to full size: Full Size M1
2000 Px square crop: 9Click to see full size)
And a full size crop of the nebula:
Sunday, 29 December 2013
I think I have finally finished my attempt at the crab nebula - Five long sessions with a total exposure time of 23 hours. I have made several attempts at processing and think I may be somewhere near - but it has been a struggle!
Jan 12th 2013 2 hours 55 min
Dec 4th 2013 3 hours 00 min
Dec 25th 2013 3 hours 45 min
Dec 27th 2013 6 hours 40 min
Dec 28th 2013 6 hours 40 min
Evostar ED120 APO, with reducer/flattener on an EQ6/EQMOD guided using PHD. Modded Canon 1000D at ISO 800.
5min subs - a total of 276 making 23hours 00mins. Processed in DSS and PS CS5.
The Full DSLR frame has been cropped to 2000px square.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/11632146924_91451fae21_o.jpg - Click this link to see original full size, A reduced version is below: (Click to enlarge)
Just the nebula full size – Click on the image:
Saturday, 28 December 2013
Thursday, 26 December 2013
I managed another session on M1 last night (Christmas Day). For the first time ever I suffered from dewing problems and had to break out the dew heaters!
Anyway - this is now a total of 9 hours 40 mins of 5 min subs and the nebula is starting to really show up quite well. (As is my less than good processing!). Evostar ED 120 APO with reducer, Modded Canon 1000D at ISO 800, EQ6 and EQMOD, guided with an ST80/QHY5 and PHD.
I make that: 116 x 5min lights, around 72 flats, 28 darks and 24 bias to make up the image. Processed in DSS and PS CS5.
Next clear night I hope to get a few more hours on this target!!
Wednesday, 25 December 2013
Monday, 23 December 2013
Click to enlarge:
And a little movie (about 1/3 of a revolution of the planet!) Jupiter spins pretty quickly – about 10 hours for a complete revolution (=one Jupiter day). Io is the moon that appears from behind the planet. The Great Red Spot seems to have “reddened” since last year. Forty frames – one frame every 5 minutes.
Sunday, 22 December 2013
Today's Sun through a little break in the clouds. The seeing was better than it has been of late but the Sun is so low that it was still difficult to get a decent image, hence trying 300 JPEGS and stacking the best 85. (I can fire off JPEG's almost continuously - RAW images take a few seconds to download and I simply didn't have a gap in the clouds long enough!). Evostar 120mm Achromat - Baader film and stopped to 100mm, Canon 1100D - 1/1250 sec at ISO 100, EQ5.
Saturday, 14 December 2013
Through the muck and the mire this morning - hence the poor quality (The Sun was at an altitude above the horizon of 13°). The AR pictures were stacks of around 130 from 2000 frames - any more and the quality plummeted from awful to worse!
Thursday, 12 December 2013
Sunday, 8 December 2013
A few folk have pointed out that my Crab Nebula picture contains an image of the “Pulsar” in the middle of the nebula – this is the remains of the original star that went supernova in the year 1054. The pulsar itself was discovered in 1968. It pulses at a rate of 30 times a second. It is the fainter of the two stars in the middle of the cloud of rapidly expanding gas and dust:
I took 3 hours of the Crab the other night (see post below) and have now processed these along with an additional 2h 40 mins that I took last January. Thus a total exposure time of 5h 40mins. I was also able to be selective with my subs and manually discarded 20 or so from the January batch before processing - they were a bit "bright" due, probably, to home high haze that night. Evostar ED120APO with flattener, Canon 1000D (modded), stacked in DSS and processed in PS CS5.
First a generous crop from the center of the original stacked frame (for scale – the Sun or Moon would just fit in the top image): Click on images to get full size.
And secondly a full size version cropped from the above – quite a bit of detail showing through!!
Friday, 6 December 2013
A couple of images from Wednesday night - official "first light" for my new EQ6 with good PA and guiding all working. All taken with the Evostar ED120APO (with flattener/reducer), Modded Canon 1000D (with SW LP filter), ST80/QHY5/PHD guiding.
The Pleiades: 1hour 30 mins (24 x 5min subs), 24 Flats, 28 Darks at 6°C (ambient), 72 Bias.
M1 The Crab Nebula: 3hours (36 x 5min subs), 24 Flats, 28 Darks at 6°C (ambient), 36 Bias.
Click on pictures to enlarge.
Sunday, 1 December 2013
Thursday, 14 November 2013
A swift Moon taken at 17.35 his evening before the clouds rolled in. ED120APO and Canon 1100D, 1/2000sec at ISO 400. 47/100 frames stacked, run through PIPP and R5. Finished in PS and Image analyser (for a gentle noise reduction).
Tuesday, 12 November 2013
A clear evening so I managed to get out and take these. ED120APO with a Canon 1100D, 1/4000 sec at ISO 400. Stacked 42/128 frames for the full disc, processed with Pipp and Registax5 and Photoshop CS5. The close-ups were taken with a QHYIMG132E at prime focus. 100/2000 frames stacked in AS2!, Registax6 for wavelets and finished in Photoshop. (Click to enlarge).